Not a simple question, not a simple answer. Let's start with what a "blog" is. Blog is short for "web log" - sort of like an online journal. You can read more about how blogs came into existence here.
To quote wikipedia - "A blog (a contraction of the term "weblog")[1] is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog."
Some argue that the Internet age has led to the development of everyday exhibitionism - about all facets of life. Mommy blogs, daddy blogs, disgruntled worker blogs, intellectual debater blogs, literary criticism blogs, blogs about not sure exactly what....what is for sure is that this is a way to see into other people's ways of viewing and experiencing the world. In my own life, I blog for several reasons. First, I blog here to create a space for social work academics to keep up with what's up in technology. Second, I co-blog on teaching social work research methods to document the joys and challenges of that process - and to create a reflective place for discussion of how best to do this work. Third, I have a blog about things I am working on - personal creative stuff (photography, cooking exploits) and professional (research, projects) - I like to get that out there so that I have a bit of control about what stuff related to me is on the Internet We all have our reasons - this is just my own outlet.
Social workers are blogging about their everyday experiences - blogging to organize - blogging to document. You can consider blogging on a project you are working on - perhaps work with a community coalition - so that when people google it, the voice of the work is there. You can consider blogging with your class about the collective experience of your group process around the topics you are teaching and your students are learning...you can think of many other ways to use blogs. Here is a wonderful blog on social work-focused blogs - click here. Social work blogs range from a self-proclaimed anti-social worker to Jonathan Singer's wonderful social work podcast.
Creating a blog is free - you can go to wordpress or blogspot.com to start the process....or compare different online blogging tools here - have fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment